Tuesday, February 15, 2011

20 Favorite Covers

This morning I woke up at 4:09 and went to the bathroom. It was a good pee. I returned scraggle-faced and mumble-jawed to my bed, flopped back down, and proceeded to not go back to sleep. It's been a difficult day. In other news....erm....sorry; by brain isn't functioning properly.



In conjecture with the title of today's blog I'd like to point out that narrowing down a mere twenty favorite cover songs is almost impossible, but i've done my best. To help, I went through all the music on my lap top and made a playlist of every (well...most. I didn't include the crappy ones) cover in my music library. See below.





1. "When the Ship comes in." By Bob Dylan--covered by Robbie O'Connell

2. "Midnight Train to Georgia," by Gladys Knight and the Pips--covered by The Indigo Girls

3. "I've just seen a face", by The Beatles--covered by Jim Sturgess

4. "What's going on" by Marvin Gaye--covered by A Perfect Circle

5. "Sunday Morning comin' down" by Kris Kristofferson--made famous by Johnny Cash--covered by Shawn Mullins

6. "Sanitarium" by Metallica--covered by Apocolyptica

7. "Good Lovin" by The Rascals--covered by The Grateful Dead

8. "Leavin on a Jetplane" by John Denver--covered by Peter, Paul & Mary

9. "Day Tripper" by The Beatles--covered by Jimi Hendrix

10. "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John--covered by The Beastie Boys

11. "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers--covered by U2

12. "Minnie the Moocher" by Cab Calloway--covered by Big Bad Voodoo Daddies

13. "Garden Party" by Rick Nelson--covered by John Fogerty

14. "Lay Lady Lay" by Bob Dylan--covered by The Byrds

15. "Love minus zero/no limit" by Bob Dylan--covered by Joan Baez

16. "Follow you, follow me" by Genesis--covered by Red House Painters

17. "Sweet Jane" by Velvet Underground--covered by Cowboy Junkies

18. "Chelsea Hotel #2" by Leonard Cohen--covered by Rufus Wainwright

19. "Creep" by Radiohead--covered by Damien Rice

20. "Boyz in the hood" by Eazy E--covered by Dynamite Hack

21. "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg--covered by The Gourds

22. "Take on Me" by Aha--covered by Reel Big Fish

23. "Build me up Buttercup" by The Foundations--covered by Save Ferris

24. "Come Sail Away" by Styx--covered by Eric Cartman

25. "The Boys are Back in Town" by Thin Lizzy--covered by Everclear

26. "Cat Scratch Fever" by Ted Nugent--covered by Pantera

27. "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC--covered by Marilyn Manson

28. "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan--covered by Jimi Hendrix

29. "Across the Universe" by The Beatles--covered by Fiona Apple

30. "Angel From Montgomery" by John Prine--covered by Dave Matthews

31. "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners--covered by Save Ferris

32. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" by The Beatles--covered by Jimi Hendrix

33. "Imagine," by John Lennon--covered by A Perfect Circle

34. "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell--covered by Marilyn Manson

35. "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry--covered by Jimi Hendrix

36. "Sliver" by Nirvana--covered by The Assylum Street Spankers

37. "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode--covered by Johnny Cash

38. "Fields of Gold" by Sting--covered by Eva Cassidy

39. "The Man in the Long Black Coat" by Bob Dylan--covered by Joan Osborne

40. "Hey Jude" by The Beatles--covered by The Flys

41. "The Star Spangled Banner" by Francis Scott Key--covered by James Marshal Hendrix

42. "Goin to Aculpoco" by Bob Dylan--covered by Jim James and Calexico

43. "Sympathy for the Devil" by The Rolling Stones--covered by Guns n Roses

44. "All along the watchtower" by Bob Dylan--covered by Eddie Vedder

45. "Heigh Ho" from Disney's SNOW WHITE--covered by Tom Waits

46. "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes--covered by The Allman Brothers

47. "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones--covered by Bjork & P.J. Harvey

48. "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John--covered by Ben Folds

49. "Gimme some Truth" by John Lennon--covered by Dhani Harrison & Jakob Dylan

50. "Redemption song" by Bob Marley--covered by Ziggy Marley

51. "Hotel California" by The Eagles--covered by The Gypsy Kings

52. "Message in a Bottle" by The Police--covered by Matisyahu

53. "Real Love" by John Lennon--covered by Regina Spektor

54. "Row Row your boat" traditional children's song--covered by Dr. John

55. "Scarlet Begonias" by The Grateful Dead--covered by Jimmy Buffett

56. "Jolene" by Dolly Parton--covered by The White Stripes

57. "Fiddle and the Drum" by Joni Mitchell--covered by A Perfect Circle

58. "Soul Man" by Sam & Dave--covered by The Blues Brothers

59. "Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney--covered by Guns n Roses

60. "What is Life" by George Harrison--covered by Shawn Mullins

61. "Changes" by David Bowie--covered by Shawn Mullins

62. "Uncle John's Band" by The Grateful Dead--covered by Jimmy Buffett

63. "Mama Kin" by Aerosmith--covered by Guns n Roses

64. "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen--covered by Willie Nelson

65. "Me and Bobby McGee" by Kris Kristofferson, made famous by Janis Joplin--covered by The Grateful Dead

66. "Johnny B. Good" by Chuck Berry--covered by The Grateful Dead

67. "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond--covered by Jimmy Buffett

68. "Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills, & Nash--covered by Jimmy Buffett

69. "In my Room" by the Beach Boys--covered by Jimmy Buffett

70. "This Land is Your Land" by Woody Guthrie--covered by Bruce Springsteen

71. "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley--covered by Jimmy Buffett

72. "Scary Boat Ride from Willy Wonka" done originally by Gene Wilder--covered by Marilyn Manson

73. "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode--covered by Marilyn Manson

74. "Wonderwall" by Oasis--covered by Ryan Adams

75. "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison--covered by Jimmy Buffett

76. "Everybody's Talkin at Me" by Harry Nilson--covered by Jimmy Buffett

77. "Under Pressure" by Queen & David Bowie--covered by My Chemical Romance

78. "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson--covered by Alien Ant Farm

79. "I drove all night" by Roy Orbison--covered by Cyndi Lauper

80. "Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli (sort of)--covered by Sam Moore

81. "We Shall be Free" by Garth Brooks--covered by Sam Moore

82. "Bleeker Street" by Simon and Garfunkel--covered by Jonatha Brooke

83. "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley--covered by Blues Traveler

84. "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osborne--covered by Yonder Mountain String Band

85. "Jersey Girl" by Bruce Springsteen--covered by Tom Waits

86. "Just Like a Woman" by Bob Dylan--covered by Jeff Buckley

87. "Ballad of a thin man" by Bob Dylan--covered by The Grateful Dead

88. "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan--covered by Rod Stewart

89. "Subterranean homesick blues" by Bob Dylan--covered by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

90. "La Isla Bonita" by Madonna--covered by The Gypsy Kings

91. "Bring the Pain" by Method Man--covered by Mindless Self Indulgence

92. "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Prince, made famous by Sinead O'Connor--covered by some Hawaiian dude

93. "Scarlet Begonias" by The Grateful Dead--covered by Sublime

94. "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley--covered by Matisyahu

95. "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straights--covered by The Killers

96. "Stand by Your Man" by Tammy Wynette--covered by The Blues Brothers

97. "Hey Bulldog" by The Beatles--covered by Dave Matthews

98. "Broken Arrow" by Rod Stewart--covered by The Grateful Dead

99. "Downtown Train" by Tom Waits--covered by Rod Stewart

100. "The Van Lear Rose" by Loretta Lynn--covered by Jack White

101. "Knockin on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan--covered by Guns n Roses

102. "Bitches Ain't Shit" by Dr. Dre--covered by Ben Folds

103. "I wanna be like you" from Disney's JUNGLE BOOK--covered by Big Bad Voodoo Daddies

104. "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells--covered by Dolly Parton

105. "Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen--covered by Robert Plant

106. "Mr. Tambourine Man" by Bob Dylan--covered by William Shatner

107. "Never My Love" by The Associaton--covered by Adam Green

108. "One more cup of coffee" by Bob Dylan--covered by The White Stripes

109. "Time" by Tom Waits--covered by Tori Amos

110. "Chimes of Freedom" by Bob Dylan--covered by Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Tracy Chapman, Peter Gabriel, and Youssou N'Do











And so, how can I pick just twenty of these one hundred and ten miraculous songs to share in tonight's blog?





Well, in my opinion; a good cover should do one, or both, of two things. 1. It should completely revamp the song in question--taking it through a grand metamorphosis and sculpting it into something new and exciting. 2. It should totally, completely, absolutely, monumentally, fundamentally, unequivically, and genuinely wollop your heart and blow your mind. So, in light of those two factors, I shall now pick my top twenty. :)








1. Midnight Train to Georgia--by Gladys Knight and the Pips--covered by The Indigo Girls


It is a soulful, lovely song no matter who does. The only band that could mess this up is probably Puddle of Mud. I stumbled across this cover somewhere in college and it has been living with me ever since.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v57pAXmKTh0








2. Bennie and the Jets--by Elton John--covered by The Beastie Boys


A totally bizarre and quirky cover. The boys sound like their drunk or something. I give it seven thumbs up!





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_l_runP4-Q








3. Chelsea Hotel #2--by Leonard Cohen--covered by Rufus Wainwright


Dare I say I like this cover more than Cohen's original? Yes...slander me if you wish...but I do dare! ..................lol.........."do-dare." This is an example of a good cover thoroughly wolloping me to pieces. Also I love the way Rufus will randomly gesture and sway towards the audience in this video. :)





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtPlp-sGXTs








4. Come Sail Away--by Styx--covered by Eric Cartman via Trey Parker


I really want to hang out with Trey Parker one time.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOWK7Tam01M








5. Heigh Ho--from Disney's SNOW WHITE--covered by Tom Waits


This is an example of a song being completely reborn. A little backstory here: This song was part of a collection that was realease (I think) in the 1980's called "Stay Awake." It featured other classic Disney songs covered by well known artists including Los Lobos, Michael Stipe, Natalie Merchant, Bonnie Rait, Ringo Starr, Sinead O'Connor, The Replacements and James Taylor. This is pretty difficult to find these days, but if you can locate a copy--more power to you.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_zaZ3utUY





6. Under Pressure--by Queen & David Bowie--covered by My Chemical Romance & The Used.

I know what you're thinking. "My Chemical Romance? Really?" Well, YES....REALLY. I was dubious too, I assure you--when my good friend Bear said, "Dude...you gotta listen to this." In fact, i'm pretty sure my exact words were, "My Chemical Romance? Really?" But to my delight and surprise this turned out to be a really well done, enthusiatic, and honorable cover. And for the record, My Chemical Romance also does a pretty unique cover of "Desolation Row." Check it out.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZev4cC7Qzg

7. Crazy Train--by Ozzy Osborne--covered by Yonder Mountain String Band

Ozzy done bluegrass style. YES. I was fortunate enough to be at this particular show. Its a crazy cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3f5yNOfBDA

8. Bring the Pain--by Method Man--covered by Mindless Self Indulgence

BAT. SHIT. CRAZY. That is all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKMvDtZBj4

9. Scarlet Begonias--by The Grateful Dead--covered by Sublime

I love this song, with all my heart. No matter WHO is singing it. When Jerry sings it I feel like I should be sitting on a dock at sunset in summertime, barefoot with a bamboo fishing pole and my girl. When Jimmy Buffet sings it, I feel like I should be in a seaful of geeky hippies at a festivul--cause that is in fact where I was when I saw him perform this song. And when Bradley Knowles of Sublime sings it, I feel like I should be with my best friends out underneath the start on a warm July evening, just shooting the shit and enjoying each other's company. This song is about love. No matter which way you slice it--no matter who sings it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cg2O4SsHQw

10. Romeo and Juliet--by Dire Straights--covered by The Killers

I didn't discover this one until just recently. The cover, that is...not the original. I was sitting around at work one morning before we opened listening to Dire Straights songs on Youtube when I stumbled across this one, and i've been listening to it now three or four times a week ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtmorUXAwiI

11. Bitches Ain't Shit--by Dr. Dre--covered by Ben Folds

When a nerdy white guy who specializes in piano successfully covers a Dr. Dre song; I feel like we as a people have come a long way. It's a really cool cover as it is; but this particular performance is even cooler. Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_N3CK-6CHk

12. Never My Love--by The Association--covered by Adam Green

Both versions are beautiful. But the cover holds a special place in my heart. It's...one of those songs ;). Also, this song is featured on the soundtrack for the movie "Whip It." Excellent film. Excellent sound track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fslOF4Qu0C8

13. Time--by Tom Waits--covered by Tori Amos

This is a special song. Whether it is sung by Tom Waits, in his gruff, heart-broke, burlesque voice--or in Tori's ethereal, fluid, provacative voice--it is a perfect song. PERFECT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xdhwXIzFKY

14. No Woman No Cry--by Bob Marley--covered by Blues Traveler and Ziggy Marley

Another of my favorite songs. The original I mean. I found this cover much the same way I found the Romeo and Juliet cover...simply by stumbling across it one day. It's hard to make this song much more kick ass than it already is--but epic harmonica solos and Bob Marley's own son do just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zk0HFG5mDw

15. Johnny B. Goode--by Chuck Berry--covered by Jimi Hendrix

I can still remember the first time I ever heard this. I had just gotten the Jimi Hendrix box set and was riding around in my truck listening to it, when this track came on. And my jaw fell to the floor. I like this cover better than the original. Most covers...I like on the same level as originals...but I think this one is better. Jimi just RIPS it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEK_HKolscM

16. Hurt--by Nine Inch Nails--covered by Johnny Cash

I don't think I need to explain myself here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

17. Stand by Your Man--by Tammy Wynette--covered by The Blues Brothers

Classic :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO38rf1m0FU

18. In My Room--by The Beach Boys--covered by Jimmy Buffett

Jimmy is known for his outstanding covers; "Uncle John's Band," "Everybody's Talking at me," "Brown Eyed Girl," "Souther Cross," "Scarlet Begonias," "Mexico" etc. etc. So I basically just picked on at random--because they are all just really really really good. And this one is a good make out song ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dV8glNvESM

19. Bad Romance--by Lady Gaga--covered by Lissie

Lissie, a scruffy young new comer to the singer-songwriter scene takes Lady Gaga's pop masterpiece and makes it GRUNGE. Sexy grunge. This is the coolest thing i've seen or heard in yeeeeeears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWe07krS8_E&feature=related

20. Chimes of Freedom--by Bob Dylan--covered by Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Tracy Chapman, Peter Gabriel, and Youssou N'Dour

Some things need no explanation. This is one of them. I almost cry everytime I listen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbEr240Tfsk




Honorable Mention: Whip My Hair--by Willow Smith--covered by Jimmy Fallon as Neil Young, and 1977 era Bruce Springsteen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpxZwbPcA38



Woof....ok. It's been a day. Gonna go home now, eat a sammich, and watch South Park. Cheers :)

Next week's blog: A list of songs to play at my funeral. EEP!

1 comment:

  1. And.....thank you for that beautiful Adam Green rendition of The Association's monster hit.. It's kind of breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete